Five Things for Thursday, Feb 25th
1. I hate talking on the phone so much. I used to have a job where I did nothing but, doing software support. I’ll never be able to go back to it. Just hearing stories from Lady Aravan about the people she needs to deal with on a given day is enough to reassure me that, yes, I am incapable of dealing with people over the phone. I don’t even like calling a place for a take-out or delivery order.
2. I’m pretty good with trivia, but I know I’d choke so badly if I were ever on something like Cash Cab or a different game show. Everyone says how easy it looks on TV until you’re there, and I know that’s true. Once, in high school, I was in a quiz contest and was asked who the first man on the moon was. I answered, “Louis Armstrong.” Pure panic.
3. Any day that involves an existential crisis over the meaning of life while driving into work does not typically end up being a good one.
4. I have to say, Lady Aravan is totally right (as usual). Safeway’s Eating Right frozen meals are just as good as the real thing. Their low-cal Hot Pocket rip-offs are not only better than Lean Pockets, they’re almost as good as a regular Hot Pocket. That’s as far as I take frozen dinners, though – anything that is supposed to be a regular-looking meal but in a frozen container is not to be trusted, especially the meat. She swears by them, though.
5. I think we should do away with inheritance and estates. Only spouses should keep a deceased person’s funds over a set amount. Conservatives love to bray about pulling one’s self up by one’s bootstraps and earning one’s way through life, so let’s see it in action. Restrict a child’s inheritance to, say, $100,000 maximum per child. Everything over that amount goes to charity, the national debt, whatever. Screw ’em. The duPonts act like they’re fucking royalty because of something someone did a couple of centuries ago. Fuck ’em. Make their kids earn it like everyone else. I’m sure they’re all conservatives anyway, so they should rally behind that idea 1000%.