5 Things for Tuesday, October 25th, 2016
1. Jack Chick died today. If you don’t know who he is, you probably didn’t play Dungeons & Dragons back in the ‘80s. Chick was a fundamentalist Christian comic artist who wrote tracks presented in comic book form. These railed about the terrible things bringing American civilization directly into the ARMS of LUCIFER HIMSELF, like Masons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, sports, role-playing games, music, bare navels, evolution, peach pits, homosexuality, Halloween, girls wearing pants, critical thinking, and wearing sandals without socks, to name a few. They were, and are, terrible, bigoted, narrow-minded, and thoroughly, deeply hilarious. They never fail to make me laugh every time I see one. So in his way, he brought a lot of joy to my world. I think if Jack Chick was right about his beliefs, he’d probably be in Hell right now, but if my worldview is correct, his consciousness is no more and he is as one with the Universe now as he was before he was born. I think that’s a nice thought. It’s certainly more than he would have ever wished for me.
2. I’m pretty much obsessed with HBO’s Westworld series right now. I have a million theories, and my wife is starting to look like she’s going to shiv me if I don’t stop updating and refining them every second the show is on. I won’t spoil anything here, but I highly recommend that you start watching this show. It’s fantastic, well-acted, and a nice mix of sci-fi and the Old West. I even changed my Halloween costume to be one of the show’s characters. I may have a problem.
3. The three best video game movie adaptations of all time are in this order:
- Resident Evil. All of them. The whole run. The first one is the best in the series, and they only get better from there. That’s how good they are.
- Silent Hill. Mostly the first one, which is especially notable because Sean Bean was in it, a horror movie no less, and doesn’t die.
- Mortal Kombat. The first one. The second one is a heap of shit. But the first one… Pure gold.
4. I am scared of my own Halloween decorations.
5. I’m going to try to do NaNoWriMo this year. It’s been a while since I tried, and even longer since I won, but I’m going to give it a shot. I haven’t figured out what to write yet, which is fine and almost sort of the point. I may try to do Book 3 of the Northreach Saga and get the damn thing done and publish a remastered omnibus edition of the whole series as one volume. Or a horror story about either a haunted house or the Uncanny Valley Mall. Or a different fantasy horror story about a group of fantasy world ghost hunters. Or I will just write “I am a turnip” over and over again ‘til I hit 50k. At this point, it could go either way.