What I Did Over My Vacation
Posted by Alan Edwards
I went on vacation Thursday, November 17th. Here is a list of things I did.
- Flew on Southwest Airlines, just like I do every four years. Four years is enough time for me to forget why I hate flying Southwest. The airline has a lot going for it: free bag check, the friendliest and coolest flight attendants I’ve ever seen, cheap fares, and a direct flight to Fort Myers, Florida. I’d happily fly Southwest if I was traveling alone. However, flying Southwest hoping that you’ll be able to sit with your wife is apparently too much to ask for. We barely managed to do it on the return trip that we were advised had plenty of room by sitting in the very last row. Why Southwest doesn’t let you pick your seats is beyond me.
- Bought an incredibly tacky Florida outfit with cream-colored pants, a shirt with palm trees, and a pair of shoes that are so hideous they’re actually kinda cool. I did this because of a game we played where I was… you know what? Never mind. I Will Not Tell You About My Character, as a gesture of kindness.
- Got wasted on spiked punch, entirely by accident. Here’s a tip: if someone tells you the punch is spiked, ask if it’s grain alcohol doing the spiking BEFORE drinking multiple 16-ounce glasses of it with a straw.
- Spent time with my in-laws. High point: shooting an AR-15. Low point: being forced to watch the Countdown to the Something-or-Other Music Awards while the in-laws comment the entire time that they don’t know who any of those people on TV are and insist on watching anyway.
- Installed a new wireless router.
- Watched 20 Stephen Lynch videos in a row.
- Finished Assassin’s Creed (finally), played through Alan Wake again, plus 2 downloaded episodes. Played Arrival DLC for Mass Effect 2. Dreamed of Skyrim.
- Cooked a huge Thanksgiving spread with my wife for the two of us. Leftovers now threaten to reach critical mass. Discovered that too much Xylitol in cranberry sauce can create a laxative effect. Yes, yes it can.
Things I did not do during my vacation:
- Check email. I had over 200 emails in my inbox this morning.
- Watch The Walking Dead. I am now 3 episodes behind. I WILL watch them and review them all. I have too much fun not too.
- Write enough for NaNoWriMo. The 3 days before vacation were hectic from work and my car deciding that it liked the front window down so much that it refused to let it go up again. Rental cars and racing around and mass chaos ensued. So no writing at all those three days. Then no writing at all while in Florida. Then none on Tuesday after we got back. Then some on Wednesday. Then none on Thanksgiving day. Then a bunch on Friday. Then none after. I am NaNo fail. Unless a miracle happens, like November getting a one-week extension, I’m not gonna make it. Sadness. At least I have gotten a lot in on Waiting on the Dead. Just not gonna be 50k in 30 days.
I’d say it’s good to be back, but since I have to be back at work that would be a lie. It IS nice to chat with you all again.
About Alan EdwardsFormer cancer caregiver. Husband of the most magical and amazing person who ever lived.
Posted on November 28, 2011, in Kerfluffle and tagged So META!. Bookmark the permalink. 12 Comments.
Great seeing you and Leeeesa, Mr. Othello!
Looking forward to spending more time with youse guys.
So, a high colonic cranberry cocktail, eh? Although I’m “full of it”, I think I’ll pass 🙂
It was awesome seeing you guys too. I wish we’d gotten a chance to meet up Sunday, but after the weekend and Happy Fun Grandma Time we were both wiped out mentally and physically. You guys are the best!
It sounds like you had a good time. Now if only you could remember that part through your drunken haze. 😛 Welcome back!
It really was a good time. “Luckily” for me I drank the punch so fast that I just passed out shortly after and avoided doing anything unfortunate like throwing up on someone’s shoes or launching into an anti-flip-flop rant. Still, it’s good to be back!
Sounds like a blast. And hey, Waiting on the Dead will happen, just not as a NaNo project. Meh. Whatever! Good to have you back. 🙂
Thanks! I appreciate the reassurance that I am not a world-class failure. WotD will happen. You are right.
I’m just glad you were doing important stuff. I was afraid you’d been eaten by a zombie turkey.
VERY important things indeed.
Yay for vacations! And grain alcohol! And cream colored pants! And exclamation points!
Sorry you won’t make your Nano goal this year, but maybe you’ll be the better for it. Sometimes I think shoveling too many words in too short a time can be detrimental to the story. Which is probably why mine SUCKS! Thanks a lot, Nano!
PS – Have you checked your Twitter feed this morning? 😉
That was an epic feed. I had a good laugh, so I have to thank you for that. =)
Drunken husbands for the WIN!
Drunken wives are pretty kick-ass too. =P