So, A Week Off Kind’ve Happened…

It certainly wasn’t intentional.  I took last Tuesday and Wednesday off from work, since I’d agreed to cater a 40-person dinner on Wednesday night, and figured that it would be a good idea to give myself actual time to do it.  The best part was that Lady Aravan volunteered to do the desserts and took those days off as well.  Tuesday, we got up, did Bob’s cardio exercise, felt great, and went clothes shopping.  Had a great time, got home, started prepping some food and throwing stuff into slow cookers.  So far so good, day off and still worked out!

Then Wednesday came.  At this point I began to feel a little apprehensive about the whole catering thing.  I’m not a chef, or even a cook.  I cook, which is different, and I love doing it, but that doesn’t mean I have the first clue about how to cook for 40 people.  I was worried about portions, and having enough grub, and all that stuff.  It was the total nerd in me that wanted to do it: the event was a party a local hobby store has every year for Bilbo and Frodo Baggins’ birthdays on September 22nd, and as an absolute Tolkien nut, I wanted to cater the event using only foods explicitly mentioned in the books whenever possible.  Long story short, I cooked all day Wednesday, got to the event, everything went well, huzzah.

Except, I didn’t work out.

No biggie.  I ended up at the event until 10 pm, about an hour and a half past my bedtime.  After being on my feet all day, I was tired and sore.  When the alarm went off at 4:30, Lady Aravan and I mutually agreed to tell the alarm to piss off and slept until 6.  No workout.

The next day was Friday.  Again, the alarm went off, and again I told it to take a hike.  No workout.  I weighted in, and was 3 pounds down from the last weigh-in (which is totally bogus, since my last weigh-in was one of those phantom 1-pound gain days).  OK then.  That night was a friend’s birthday, so we had a bunch of people over for drinks.  Got to bed at 4 am after a few, errr, several drinks.  Slept in until 9 or so on Saturday, not too hungover or anything, but tired.  Did nothing all day Saturday but lay around and play video games.

Sunday, I left early and picked up a couple of friends and drove to Baltimore.  One friend is a huge Browns fan, and 6 months prior we’d all agreed to go to the game and cheer on the Browns.  We went to Geppi’s Museum right next door – a museum for nerds, essentially, especially comic-book nerds and an awesome place – and then to the game.  Had a great time despite the drunk obnoxious fans directly in front of us, forcing me to contemplate how the phone call to Lady Aravan would go when I called to inform her that I was in jail for getting into a brawl in the stands.  Managed to not get into a fight – woo hoo! – and headed home after, picked up my Lady, and went to dinner.  Night over, no exercise.

Monday morning, heh.  They are a struggle at the best of times.  Slept in until 6 am dreading the prospect of entering my workplace, where I feel trapped and can watch my soul get sucked out of me right before my eyes.  Didn’t even have the drive to lift at lunch, did 3 dumbbell curl sets and just changed my clothes and went back to my desk.

Finally, though, Tuesday rolled around.  No more excuses time.  Got up and did Bob’s cardio workout, which was BRUTAL.  I felt like it was the first time all over again.  It’s been a long time since I took a week off, and I felt it.  Since I was forced into a 2-and-a-half hour lunch meeting with work, I couldn’t lift.  This morning, we did Jillian’s No More Trouble Zones, and I struggled like I haven’t in a really long time.  Got through it though.

I hurt.  Lady Aravan hurts.  We did it to ourselves, but we recognize the fact that we could have exercised and chose not to.  We’re back, though, ready to get crazy and push it.  That is our routine, after all, and there is comfort in the routine.  It’s good to be back.

About Alan Edwards

Former cancer caregiver. Husband of the most magical and amazing person who ever lived.

Posted on September 29, 2010, in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. It was great to see this in my inbox today, I always enjoy your workout stories. First off, how cool is that to do a catering event with a Tolkien theme…that is so cool! Huge LOTR and comic book geek family here as well. Dabbled in some comic book art several years ago. Have some nice works, but then I got into the need for a “real” job and started grooming and handling dogs, because, well, I was good at it and I pretty much despise most humans.

    I have been wanting to blow off my workouts too. I don’t, mainly because it is my only time to myself. I have taken to the Bob Cardio Workout and the Pure Strength Workout because for some reason they seem to go by faster. I still do the workouts 7 days a week. I tried some of the Jillian workouts but never really got into them…don’t know why. Just not my style.
    Gonna “Like” your book on Facebook tonite. Sounds like you and the Lady are getting things rolling again. Keep up the good work, I know your job sucks, but you know that at some point your book WILL take off. Keep on keepin’ on!

    • That’s so cool! I debated about leaving the part about being a Tolkien nut out, but I might as well let my Nerd Flag fly high. I’ve done it often enough here, heh, so I should be beyond that by now.

      I totally agree with how faster Bob’s workouts go. Maybe it’s just because they flow so quickly without a set pattern. I find myself thinking during Jillian’s workouts, OK, third set of the 4th circuit, not even halfway done, this is taking forever. Not with Bob. Probably because my eyes are shut 50% of the time, heh.

      Thanks so much for “Liking” my book. I very much appreciate the support, and always enjoy reading your responses. Honestly, it helps me both keep working out and writing, and that’s a good thing.

  2. Now, “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    I’m coming off a 2 week hiatus.

    I have a good excuse though, I threw my back out. Oddly enough it didn’t happen during the actual workout. My girlfriend and I did cardio the day before “the incident” and I think the 10 extra pounds I added to my weights took their toll.

    I woke up the next feeling fine, just a little stiff in my lower back. Afternoon rolled around and I went out back to water my thirsty plants. Watering done and plants’ thirst sated I noticed I had knocked over a tiny little yellow pot with a measly little impatient struggling to grow. So I bent over, even made sure to keep my abs nice N’ tight so as to support my back… But…something went wrong, verrrry wrong. Suddenly my lower right side tightened up so much as to be excruciating. Luckily no one was around to hear me moan in a manner similar to a severely drunk person who’s trying to crawl out of the bathroom (not that I personally would ever know what that sounds like…OK I do).

    So I did my best Day of The Dead shuffle over to the couch and there I remained for two days until I got the idea to go to the doctor. That’s a whole other episode right there! Needless to say after being forced to bend and flex and break out in a cold sweat from the intense pain, TWICE, I was told I strained a muscle and was given muscle relaxers. So two weeks later here I am and I cranked out a 30 minute session of Bob’s work out 2. Oh and Yoga abs but I only made it through about 3/4 of the way before my back started sending me signals that it was about to open a can of whoop ass on me.

    Morale of the story? Breaks are OK! They teach us that when we fall and get up, we get up stronger than we were when we fell in the first place.

    • I think you’re right about the breaks. As my Lady said, life happens, and we took time off, but we didn’t stop working out – we just didn’t get to do our routine. It’s a very different mindset than I’ve had in the past, but it seems to make all the difference.

      I had back spasms once. I wanted to cry and blubber and drum my feet, but the pain was too intense for me to do anything but emit a high-pitched whine. It took a couple of days to get back to normal. Even after being there for Lady Aravan when she had back surgery and the intermittent periods of debilitating back pain she’s gone through since, I can barely imagine what it’s like. She’s thrown her back out reaching for pieces of paper. Crazy.

      Good luck, and I hope the back stays quiet and obedient.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: